What is the best thing you can say about your club right now, in 140 characters or less? Share it with the world on Twitter.
Twitter is a social networking site where you can say anything you want and broadcast it to the world. You can also link to your website, to a website of a partner or even to this blog, if you like what I am writing! Twitter is taking the world by storm. The number of Twitter users is up over 1400% during the last year. Users tend to be younger, service-minded and eager to connect. Sound like an audience you want to connect with?
How do you get started?
1. Go to www.twitter.com and sign up for an account, either as an individual or on behalf of your club.
2. Think of something really positive to say about your club and post it on Twitter. For example,
- Chanhassen Rotary just drilled hundreds of holes in the ice for the Chanhassen Feb Fest
- Edina Rotary is going to set a world record for its bike ride!
Minnetonka Rotary just raised over $4000 to help feed the hungry
You get the idea. Think of the kinds of things you do that might get non-members interested in learning more about Rotary. What is really remarkable about you right now?
3. Next, somewhere in the message, include the expression "@rotary" This will make sure that the people who Twitter for Rotary International will see your post and will retweet your message to its followers. (Kind of like forwarding to its subscriber list, in a way). I know, that will use up 7 of your 140 characters, but we want to make sure you spread the word! If your message is short enough, include me in your tweet by including "@InnovateRotary"
While you are at it, scout around and find out which of your members are Twitter users!
C'mon, Rotarians, which district in the Rotary world will be first to have each of its clubs with at least one positive Tweet? The challlenge is on!